Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Lesson #3

Lesson #3: Change is Inevitable. Embrace It. 


In 5 days, I will no longer be a resident of Pittsburgh. 

If you would have asked me a little more than a year ago how I felt about the above statement, I would have said, "I'm happy." 

Today, I feel very melancholic. 

My husband (then fiancé) moved to Pittsburgh 2 years ago for his job. We had been living in Houston, Texas where I was a teacher and he was working in the oil and gas industry. I was not happy about this move, but did so because I was following a life lesson learned previously (Just do it) and didn't want to have to learn that lesson again. I gave up my job teaching and was determined to just enjoy this new experience. It did not turn out that easy. 

Turns out, Pittsburgh, PA is one of the hardest places in America to find a teaching job. I was so sad after spending months and months getting re-certified, applying for jobs, trying to make any kind of connections possible, only to discover that nothing would become of my efforts. So, I looked to other things to occupy my time and provide me with an income. I eventually landed a job managing an office at an Oil and Gas company and decided I would feed my creative spirit with other things, mainly a multitude of art classes and various physical activities. It wasn't all bad, but I felt sad having given up on my calling (teaching) and also bored in a job that required many hours behind a desk. Not to mention having no interest in the oil and gas field. 

My mood was also down and out initially because we had left all of our friends and family and came up here knowing no one. It was hard to make friends at first. But, as time went on, we began to discover some really fantastic places in this city and, upon moving into a cute little house down the street, we met a slew of awesome new neighbors that quickly became close friends. Eventually we started having a blast and by the time we made the difficult decision to move back to Texas (for his job and mine) we felt like we were true 'Yinzers' (as they like to call the natives 'round these parts). 

I try to tell people about Pittsburgh and they are surprised that I like it so much. At the beginning, I lamented forever about missing the sun, my friends and family and my job. But as I grew into this city, I began to discover some hidden gems. It's amazing to me that this place hasn't blown up on the map of cool. I'm sure it will eventually and we won't be living here at that point...which will make me so pissed. But...change IS inevitable. 

Our Time In Pittsburgh


It really has been amazing. Even looking through pictures trying to decide what should go in a collage is too difficult because it brings back so many good times, good friends, good FOOD and good memories. 

But, the lesson I am learning throughout all of this is that, whether for good or for bad, change really is inevitable. You cannot remain stagnant. You have to keep swimming through the tide. 

I've had a multitude of changes throughout my short 31 years. I'm sure there are some with even more dramatic stories of change. I love hearing how people overcome the reaction to cry out, to appease someone somewhere to prevent this change from happening. I know I am one of those people. I feel it in my gut when it happens, when I know, life as it is right this minute will never be the same. We will never go back to this, right here right now. 

But, as I've also learned and continue to learn, with every change comes new and exciting possibility. New people, places, and the chance to learn and grow. I love learning and believe that we should all be on a quest of continual growth - personally, spiritually, intellectually and physically. 

Perhaps that's why I was born to teach. 

“Things change. And friends leave. Life doesn't stop for anybody.” 
― Stephen ChboskyThe Perks of Being a Wallflower


Indeed, friends, lovers, family...at one point or another it is inevitable. Everyone leaves, whether a parting in life or by death. Everything changes. But to embrace it...that is to embrace what life is truly about and to saddle up for the journey, rather than wallowing in the wish for it to remain the same. Those who truly shine in this life have ridden the currents instead of fighting the flow. And their lives, and ours, can be be made continually better by doing so. 



No comments:

Post a Comment