Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Lesson #6

Lesson #6: Really, Truly, Definitely Learn a New Language (or Learn a New Language Part III)


I talked about the best way to learning a new language is full immersion. Well, sometimes that is not possible. So, you'd like to continue learning a new language here in your home land. Or maybe you did immersion but you have moved back and are a bit rusty and want to keep up with your skills. I've tried a few things during stints back home and these are a few of the methods that have worked for me.

1. Books

There are number of different books geared towards learning new languages and it really all depends on your level. I've been through SEVERAL with regards to learning Italian. Some of them were for my Italian classes at University, others I purchased on my own for my own benefit. I started out my Italian language learning journey by purchasing this book: Italian in 10 Minutes a Day.

Italian in 10 Minutes a Day, Bilingual Books, Inc.
Other books I've used at various stages of my language learning include:

Of course there are many others that I've tried and many others used as text books. In fact, while in Italian taking Italian courses, most of the text books they assigned had zero English because they were used to teach Italian to those with a variety of mother tongues. These were purchased in Italy and were extremely beneficial. If you happen to take a trip to the country where you are wanting to learn the language, I highly suggest purchasing language learning books and systems while there. 

2. Local Instructors

I wanted to keep my brain engaged in language learning so I just did some googling and found several local instructors in Italian who led learning groups, conversation groups, etc. In every city I've lived I've been able to find language learning groups. Many are offered at the local library and are free. If they are not free, they are extremely reasonable in price. Plus, getting to speak it is part of the challenge and having people around to help you practice is most beneficial. 

3. Conversation Groups

Kind of like with local instructors, there are many people out there who speak a different language or who would like to practice a newly learned language who have or would like to form conversation groups. 

4. Language Exchange

Another thing I have tried that has been super fun and effective is language exchange. Many people are here that want to learn English. If you know English and would like to learn their language, a language exchange is the perfect opportunity! Plus, you get an added benefit: a new friend! 

5. Audio Learning CDs

I've also used these. I keep them in the car and for long rides in traffic I pop one in and just speak. It's great because you can practice speaking out loud without worrying about your family, friends or coworkers thinking you are nuts (or desperately wanting you to shut up!). The Pimsleur Method contains CDs as part of their learning package. Many other programs do as well, since hearing the language over and over is essential to learning. 

6. Music CDs

Find music that is sung in the language of your choice then play it while you drive, relax, do laundry or housework, or whatever it is that you do. I found this to be the most fun way to learn. I've listened to those CDs so many times now that I can sing all the words - that's better than I can do with most English language songs! 

7. Movies

Along with music and listening to conversation, watching movies is a great way to see how the language is used. I was a hoarder of all Italian films for a while and it's funny because I find myself using quotes and inflections from those movies when I am having an ordinary conversation in that language. I wonder if they ever notice? It's also a great way to become acquainted and familiar with their culture. Movies often demonstrate cultural subtleties, things that are important to them, and meaningful traditions. I learned SO much from movies, both current and older, and it helped to make me feel more connected to that country and its people. 

8. Online Language Learning

Also a great way! I've loved participating in these programs. You get to watch conversation videos, complete lessons, both written and verbal, and chat with people in that language. You also get critiqued for you verbal prompts that you complete so it's a great way to practice speaking. The chatting part is good too because it requires you to think quickly in that language since you are chatting real time. I thought it was very fun as a supplement to other language learning methods. 

(online element for some of these is a part of a complete packaged system which also contains books, CDS, etc)

9. Pen Pals

If you are lucky enough to know someone who speaks a language you would like to learn, become pen pals with them. I am pen pals with the family for whom I nannied and also with a few friends I met while living in Italy. It's great practice and, again, the bonus of having a new friend! 

10. Eat

See if you can find a restaurant that serves food from a country that speaks your desired second language (make sure it is pretty authentic). Sometimes you can practice ordering in that language and speaking to the waiters.

So there you have it! 10 more ways to learn a language that are tried and true (by yours truly). I'm still interested in trying several more things (Rosetta Stone Program) and will update as to the quality of that as an option.

My best advice is to try a variety of these methods. If you really want to learn, make it consistent. Every day do some or all of these things. And I encourage you to continue to look for opportunities to immerse yourself at some point. Until then, or when you have to come back, use these tools to keep up your bilingualness! It's sexy!!


"Learning is a treasure that will follow its owner everywhere."- Chinese Proverb


No comments:

Post a Comment